Thing #29 – See the Mayan ruins of Tikal
I’ve always wanted to see the Mayan ruins of Tikal in Guatemala ever since seeing them in my geography books as a child. It was everything I hoped it would be and more.
In this vid I talk a bit about the ruins and how they would sacrifice people to the gods as well as re-enacting the scene from Stars Wars that was filmed there. I promise you the oscars will not be calling! Enjoy and definitely add this to your list!x
Tips for travel
- Stay in El Remate. It’s closer and nicer than Flores. The place at the end with the zip line service is a place called La Casa Don David and is well worth staying at…not just because you can get drinks via a zip line!:)
- Avoid going with the big groups and book a guide when you get there. It’s the same price and the guide will take you away from all the other tourists so you feel like you have Tikal all to yourself. Definitely get a guide as they tell you so much great info.
- It’s very hot and there are a lot of Mosquitos so wear long trousers and lots of insect repellent.
- Go early to avoid the afternoon heat and take lots of water.
- The place is massive so prepare to walk